Introduction to Urban Organic Garden
- Duration: Half Day
Who Should Attend
- Anyone who is interested in growing organic food in their homes (rooftops / terrace, kitchen garden) or in community spaces around their homes.
- Schools / Institutions with small land-parcels and a keen interest to learn about small scale organic farming
The program aims to create awareness on the benefits of healthy organic food and the solutions to shift to organic food in an urban setting. Urban vegetable gardens allow you to live a healthy lifestyle by growing your own food in your homes in innovative, sustainable and environmental-friendly ways. Through this workshop, you will gain knowledge and confidence to be able to have and maintain your own small-scale productive garden that produces organic food.
- You will learn from Experts and Experienced Organic Farming practitioners.
- You will take part in experiential learning sessions at the Organic Farm located near Pondicherry.
- There will be special focus on Urban vegetable garden design.
- Special session on setting up and managing Herbal garden.
Major Topics to be Covered
- Different types of urban gardening methods and its design: Backyard, Kitchen Garden, Terrace Garden, Mandala Garden, etc
- Home-made compost, organic manure, bio-inputs preparation
- Varieties of Vegetables and greens and its farming methods
- Companion plants, suitable varieties and sowing cycle based on season- weather patterns
- Methods for Herbal gardens
Venue: Sharanam Campus
- SHARANAM is a pristine residential training facility outside Pondicherry, near Lake Ousteri. It has been developed and is managed by Sri Aurobindo Society, Pondicherry. It has been recognized as one of most environment friendly designs by UNEP.